THOR: RAGNAROK

3 out of 5


A shiny piece of candy: you will look at it marveled (pun definitely intended), you will salivate while getting ready to devour it, and afterwards it will leave you a nice, familiar taste in your mouth. Definitely not bad, quite good actually, but not as exciting as you were hoping for when you first saw those shiny colors and sparkling wrapping paper. Nevertheless, who can resist a sweet treat every now and then?

COCO

3 out of 5


I don’t think this is a brilliant movie by any stretch of the imagination (Pixar has had better moments for sure), but it is certainly beautiful, emotional and culturally relevant, so it definitely deserves my recommendation.

SUMMER 1993 (Estiu 1993)

3,5 ouf of 5


Tragically ignored by non-European audiences, Summer 1993 (“Estiu 1993”) is one of the most beautiful, simple and sincere movies out there. Definitely the best opera prima of the year. Go watch it and do yourself a favor, I promise it’s worth it.

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

3 out of 5


More visually assertive than entertaining, and sadly quite close to being mediocre. I bet it would have been quite the success a few decades ago when people’s attention span wasn’t that of the millenials’, and the audiences still had Agatha Christie’s legacy fresh in their minds. I’m intrigued and I would like to see a franchise come out of this, but I’m afraid I was in the minority and, by watching this movie, we were witnessing the death of a project and not the birth of one.

THE FOUNDER

3 out of 5


I did not know this story before watching The Founder, and I am happy I do now. However, I do not think it transcends what this movie ultimately is: a good afternoon distraction quickly forgotten.

KILL BILL: VOLUME 1

4 out of 5


You just gotta love Quentin Tarantino. This movie abducts you from the very beginning and doesn’t let you go until you are drained, skinless and surrendered, and ready to watch it all over again. It is inconceivable not to recognize how talented one most be to think outside of the box like this, to dare to do something so drastically different, so risky, and yet so meticulously well done. Bravo.